Get into your first home with KiwiSaver
We understand that you want to get into your first home sooner rather than later, but with house prices on the rise, saving a 20% deposit can be daunting.
I can talk you through the options to get into your home sooner than you think. You might be eligible for one of the finance solutions designed specifically for first home buyers, like using your KiwiSaver funds to put towards your deposit.Using KiwiSaver
If you’ve been in KiwiSaver for at least three years, you could be eligible to withdraw your deposit from your balance and put this towards buying your first home. You can withdraw your contributions and your employer contributions, just not the government or Kick Start contribution.
Before you can do this there’s a few criteria you need to tick off. You must:
- Have been a regularly contributing member of KiwiSaver for at least three years
- live in the house you buy for a minimum of six months
- apply to your KiwiSaver provider (I can help by getting you a pre-approval letter)
There’s also a one-off payment from the Government you might be eligible for - $1,000 for each year you've been contributing to KiwiSaver, up to a maximum of $5,000.In addition, you’ll also need to:
- Have an income of less than $80,000 for one buyer or a combined income of less than $120,000 for two or more buyers
- A maximum house price cap of $485,000 for Auckland
- Send your application to Housing New Zealand
- You’ve not received the one-off government payment before
- Your assets are valued at $80,000 or less (like cash, car, boat)
Want to know more about using KiwiSaver to get into your home? Contact me today to learn more.